fabric basket with chalkboard label
This DIY fabric basket with a chalkboard label is a versatile project and the label can be re-written to fit any use. We use them for books and blankets.
Here are a few additional ideas for your home:
- Write family member names and store in the mud room for hats, gloves, etc.
- Set a few on your stairs for collecting items that are ready to be put away.
- Put one in your car to organize your trunk space.
- Leave in your spare room with extra towels and toiletries for your guests.
- Use as a tote for toys as they can be easily carried using the handles.
1 yd. home decor fabric (for outside of bin) - FABRIC A
1 yd. home decor fabric (for lining of bin) - FABRIC B
1 2/3 yd. Sew-In Interfacing - Firm
3" x 4" piece of Chalkboard Oilcloth
Coordinating Sewing Thread
White Sewing Thread
- Cut out all of your pattern pieces.
- Pin Chalkboard Oilcloth piece to the right side of the exterior fabric. Check pattern for suggested placement. (Take care to pin along edges as pin holes will be permanent.)
- Using white thread, sew 1/4" from the edge of the oilcloth followed by a second row just inside the first.
- Pin interfacing to wrong side of exterior fabric (Fabric A).
- Pin basket sides - right sides together - reusing existing pins. (If you prefer, you can baste interfacing prior to this step.) Sew all four basket corner seams at 1/2".
- Turn bin right side out. Press all four seams and baselines to define basket edges. Set aside.
- Pin interior fabric (Fabric B) sides together and sew seams at 5/8". (This will allow the liner to be slightly smaller than the exterior.)
- Turn interior fabric right side out to press the four corner seams and then turn inside out again and press baselines to define basket edges.
- Place liner in basket. Fold exterior fabric in 1/2" and interior fabric out 1/2". Pin together starting at basket corners and then along all four sides. (I do this by hand, but you can press first if you prefer.) Set aside.
- To make the handles press raw edges of handle strips in lengthwise, 1/2" on each side. Pin together with raw edges facing in. Edge stitch both sides and press.
- Pin handles with interior fabric side out and insert in top seam of basket - with outer edge of handles 2 1/2" from basket corners. Handle ends should tuck 1" inside seam on either end.
- Edge stitch top seam of bin.